Saturday, February 7, 2009

Quick Rant #4

And yes, I've have pages of alternating rants and raves regarding Phnom Penh. It was a fun way to kill time when I was eating yesterday.

Rant #4: Tuk Tuk & Motodrivers

I find myself actually pausing sometimes before exiting the staircase into the main lobby of my hostel. Reason being, as soon as you round that corner- "Hello, Miss, Tuk Tuk?" "Whereyou go?" "Motobike?" "Killing Fields?" or even the more familiar "Sara, hello beautiful, moto today?"
As always I reply, "No, walk today."
"Walk, walk, walk. Always walk. No good!"
"Walk very good!" I counter,
"Maybe moto tomorrow?"
I shrug
"Okay, I wait for you!"
Ugh. Creepy,creepy. But harmless.
The harassing is understandable- they've got to make a living after all. The leering is unfortunately common thanks to my pale skin and the fact that I'm always smiling (I am in Cambodia after all). But what really 'grinds my gears' is when I'm sitting in a restaurant, halfway through a bowl of curry and Tuk Tuk drivers stop and ask if I want a ride. Dude. I'm stationary, I'm chewing. Does it look like I need a fucking ride? I have to say though, the instance that trumps all the others, was when I was asked if I need a moto, while I was sitting on the back of a moto. I couldn't even find an expression, much less words to go along with them before we veered off down a side street. Wow...I still don't know how to respond to that one. At least I never have a problem finding a ride!

No comments: